The Vicars of All Saints
The first incumbent was the Rev. J.M. Evans. He resigned in 1834. He was followed by the Rev. J.N. Green-Armytage, who left in December 1835. The Rev. G.D. Grundy M.A., who built the Vicarage, was here from 1836 to 1839, when he removed to Hey, near Oldham, remaining there for 63 years. At his death in 1901 he was the oldest clergyman in England. The Vicarage remained in use until Wakefield Diocese sold it in December 1996.
Then came the Rev. D. Meredith, in charge for a few months; the Rev. D. Hughes, from 1839 to 1842; the Rev. J. Tidemore from 1842 to 1846; the Rev. P. J. Manning and J. Rogers, both here for a short time; the Rev. Thomas James M.A., L.L.D., F.S.A., 1846 to 1879, a noted Welsh scholar and one of the founders of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society, his grave, which has Celtic lettering is by the church door. He was assisted by the Rev. E.A. Jones, B.F. Couch and John Prowde M.A., who eventually became Vicar. On the death of the latter in 1907, and his interment adjacent to Mr James, the Rev. H.N. Hind M.A. was appointed Vicar. He had a long ministry of 29 years, leaving the village in 1936.
The Rev. S. S. Black served for 21 years, from 1937 to 1958. After being widowed he married Helen, who was the daughter of Mr and Mrs J. Floyd. He is also buried in the Church grounds. He was succeeded by the Rev. E. Asquith in 1959, who stayed until 1966. The Rev. F. Lord’s ministry here was tragically short, from 1968 to 1970.
Rev. J. Capstick was the final sole incumbent of All Saints and resident in All Saints Vicarage; from 1970. At the formation of the Upper Holme Valley Team in 1992, he also took on responsibility for St Andrew’s, Thongsbridge until his retirement in April 1995. Rev. L. Greenwood, who was already Team Vicar for Holmbridge, now also took responsibility for All Saints until his retirement in 1997.
Rev. G. A. Banks, M.A. joined the Upper Holme Valley Team in 1998 and as a Team Vicar was also responsible for a cluster of three churches within the Team Ministry: All Saints, St John’s and St David’s. His first service at All Saints was the Advent Sunday family service on 29th November 1998. The new vicarage for the three churches is situated in Ash Grove, Parkhead - a central point for a travelling vicar. He retired in 2009 when the church was left in interregnum (without a ‘regular’ vicar).
The Church is part of the Upper Holme Valley Team Ministry, which consists of eight churches in the Holme valley (and responsibility for the Mission House at Choppards, Dunford Bridge):
Holy Trinity, Holmfirth (XVIII Century)
All Saints, Netherthong (1830)
Christ Church, New Mill (1831)
St David’s, Holmbridge (1840)
St John’s, Upperthong (1848)
Holy Trinity, Hepworth (1863)
St Thomas’, Thurstonland (1869)
St Andrew’s, Thongsbridge (1938)
(Formerly Mission House built 1877)
The present and current incumbent is Rev. N Heaton, BEd, BTh, who joined our Team in 2010..